Search This Blog

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Today is the day......

Today is the day that I am giving up sugar. Now I know that giving up sugar in everything I eat or drink is crazy, but I am going to try like hell to take it out of my life as much as possible. Over the last few weeks, I have researched and tried a few dozen different ways of taking it out of my way of life and I have learned quite a few lessons along the way. One of those lessons is that I DO NOT like artificial sweeteners! In my opinion, they are just....yuck!! I gotta keep it clean, ya know?? The thing that I've been testing my sweeteners out on is Tea...I am a huge tea drinker and if the sweetener doesn't taste right in my tea...then it is definitely a no no!

So here is what I've come up with....Agave Nectar is the one thing that I've tried that makes my tea taste great and I can cook with it also. I love to bake, especially during the Fall/Winter months and this will be an awesome way that I can still do this and not wreck my sugar intake, 'cause I love to eat what I bake too! So, in my journey of change, this is just the start for me.

I want to give you a little history that will explain why I am finally getting my act together and doing something about it! In the past two and a half years I have lost both my parents to heart and lung disease and it has been the most painful thing that I've ever had to watch or go through. My mom had heart problems for a long time and she went very fast and for that, I am happy, because she didn't suffer. My father, on the other hand, had COPD and a few other lung issues and he suffered for a long time and for the lat 9 months of his life I was there with him, taking care of him, and it is not something that I want my children to have to go through. We lost him in January of this year and I am still traumatized by it. When I was 8 years old, I had a stroke due to a heart defect that my mom didn't know that I had and up until I was 17 years old, I had problems and was in and out of the hospital until my last heart surgery at 17, which finally corrected the problem. I have several family members on each side of my family that has Diabetes, heart issues, strokes, cancer, you name it and I do not want to go through that...I do not want my children to go through that! So, here I am....at 43....deciding to get serious about my health.

I'm not sure how this is going to end up, but I do know that I have been walking, steadily, for the past month and I feel great! I've lost some weight and a pant size, but most of all....I feel good about myself..I feel happy..and I am in my happy place again. Stay tuned and walk in this journey with me.

“Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain.”

No comments:

Post a Comment