Search This Blog

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Are you your own worst critic?

Do you criticize yourself when you mess up or don't do something quite the way that you thought you should? I have, many, many, times, but I have learned, the hard way, that beating yourself up and comparing yourself to other people is just stupid and a total waste of time. What do you consider being a success or a failure?
I used to think that if I was thin and beautiful or rich or whatever...that I would be happy. Boy was I wrong...I have never thought of myself as beautiful or thin or smart, but I did think I had a good heart and of course that is not a good attribute when you are being told by society and the media circus that we see everyday that you need to be super thin or have cosmetic surgery to be loved or to get that job or to just have the cool friends. Sounds like I'm talking about high school, huh? Sadly, no....this is in my adult years. I have lived a pretty good life, have had the nice house, the big money job, the pretty clothes, the great cars, but it didn't matter. I learned that it doesn't matter what you have or don't have, if you don't love yourself, you'll be miserable!

What do you do when you feel like you are a failure or you feel like if you just worked a little harder then your life would be great?? You stop listening to that crazy person in your head and realize that you are enough! You are pretty enough, smart enough, and your size does not matter!! It has taken me 43 years to realize this and it feels great!! I'm not beautiful or thin. I don't even care who does or does not like me anymore. I've wasted so many years trying to fit in or trying to look a certain way and Holy Cow....trying to please everyone else!!!  It's all a waste of time...we criticize ourselves enough, we don't need to take what other people say or do and add it to the negative things we say about ourselves! We have to live by what's in our hearts.

The point that I am trying to make is...love yourself, be kind to yourself, and never try to be anything other than yourself. God made us unique and that's exactly how he wants us to be! I didn't exercise as much as I should have today...so what!! I also ate a mini chocolate bar too....so what!! I haven't done much of anything today except lay around and be lazy....so what!! I am sure not going to beat myself up! I wasted years feeling crappy about myself and look where it got me....absolutely nowhere!! Do what you love to do and do it with all your heart. Be who you are and be proud of who you are! Own it!! That's what my son, Ryan, has taught me...to be who you are and to own it!! So if you don't quite get done what you need to get done or look exactly the way that others are telling you to look....don't worry about it...you are who you are and that is enough and if there are people in your life that are telling you differently....then I would take a second look at what kind of relationship you have with them, because the people who really love you, would not tell you that you need to be something else. Just my thoughts and my opinions....life is way too short to feel less than what you really are. I am happy with myself and I like myself. You should like yourself as well.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Jackie :) !!
    You Are Right On !!!
    I needed this.
    Hugs, Sista

    ReplyDelete